Season Over; Top Free Agents Worth Betting On
As theseason is over with and the Kansas City Royals won the World Series of Baseball, it is time for many players to move on to greener fields. Eligible players worth betting on have now become free agents, and there are 139 great players on the list, and with deadlines to sign with a team are coming up fast. We will go through what we believe are the Top Free Agents of this year, as well as give you a small schedule of the deadlines.
|2||David Price||Pitcher||Blue Jays|
|3||Jason Heyward||Right Fielder||Cardinals|
|4||Alex Gordon||Left Fielder||Royals|
|10||Chris Davis||First Baseman||Orioles|
|11||Ben Zobrist||Second Base/Shortstop||Royals|
|15||Howie Kendrick||Second Baseman||Dodgers|
|20||Colby Rasmus||Center Fielder||Astros|
Each one of these players can bring something new and great to any team that would pick them up, but they would be much more useful in teams that obviously struggled last season. For the top free agents, however, it may not be where they can do the most, but who pays the most. With spot number one, Greinke is actually looking to try and get a $73 million, 3-year contract. He may get that offer from his current team, the Dodgers, as they would be starting from scratch to find and use a new ace on the mound.
With no shortage of pitchers on the list, we look at the Royals players, as they just won the big one and could carry that with them to the next team; if the Royals let them go without a fight. We will have to keep an eye out on these, and the other free agents, as their schedule demands:
- November 6: Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers is at 5 p.m.
- November 7: Players are eligible to sign with teams that are not their former clubs.
- November 9-12: General manager meetings to start going over contract details.
- November 13: Deadline for players to accept the qualifying offer from their teams.
- November 20: Teams have to file Reserve Lists for Major and Minor leagues.
- December 2: Deadline in which teams have to tender contracts to pre-arbitration and arbitration-eligible players.
- December 7-10: Winter meetings in Nashville, Tenn. Finalize details of contracts.
- December 10: The Rule 5 draft. Any players chosen in the Rule 5 draft must go on the team’s 25-man roster for all of 2016. If not, they are offered to their old team before going on waivers, where they can be selected by a new club.
With that, the next baseball season is set into motion, so fans after December 10th can start looking to see which free agent went with what team.